Keeping file size down

Post tutorials on using doPDF, or ask a "How Can I" question.
PaintedParadise7

Post by PaintedParadise7 »

I need serious help. I need to keep my pdf documents under 2 MB. For instance, I created a word document that had pictures in it. When I was done, the document was .98 MB, I opened up the print option and chose doPDF v 6. It converted over to pdf, but shot the file size up to 2.15 MB. I compressed all of the pictures down before I even placed them in the document, so that isn't the problem. Help!

Claudiu (Softland)

Keeping file size down

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Update: Starting with doPDF version 7.2 it is possible to select with what compression engine you want to create the PDF, so either create a "Small file" or a PDF with "High quality images" (detailed on http://www.dopdf.com/forum/topic/major- ... 3-released). So if you want to create small PDFs make sure you choose the "Small file" option and not the second one.
The most common size problem with word documents that contain images is that when you insert an image into word if you resize it manually from word (or word does its automatic resize), the entire size of the image is still kept. So one solution to reduce the file size of a pdf printed from a word document with images is to force word into compressing and deleting the cropped areas of the images in the entire document. An example on how to do that (however please make a copy of the word document before doing this, so that you'll have the original copy with higher resolution and non-cropped images, and this second one with lower resolution and cropped images):
  • Make a copy of the original word document, and open the copy. Right-click on one of the images, go to the Picture tab and click on Compress.
  • A new window with compress options will open. Make sure that Apply to has All pictures in document selected. On the Change resolution section, check Web/Screen. Last, on the Options section make sure Compress pictures and Delete cropped areas of pictures are both selected.
  • Now click on OK and you'll get a prompt that the quality of the pictures will reduce. Click Apply to accept that, save your word document and after that print to doPDF again. This should considerably reduce the size of the PDF.