Stuck with A4 format instead of Letter...

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
Midseven

Post by Midseven »

I've been using doPDF and always loved it but I have a problem..
Even if the paper format is set to Letter (8.5 x 11) in the printer settings (by default), the properties of the doPDF printer shows A4 as the available paper format. So each time I want to print my 2 pages (CV - very tight) it changes the document to A4 (8 x 11) which adds a 3rd page with 2 lines to adjust the shrinking of 0.5 inch. I tried on 2 different computers and I got the same result.
I ended up using PDF reDirect instead but I do want to return using doPDF because I'm used to it.
Thank you in advance.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi, please change the properties to Letter in dopdf too, as that selection would be remembered the next time you print. This way if it's Letter to Letter size, should print just fine.

Follow us to stay updated:

Midseven

Post by Midseven »

That's what I said in my first post, I changed it to Letter IN the doPDF settings of course. Anyway, it's already Letter by default.. But the "Paper available :" shows A4!! I wish I can send copy a screenshot but you understand what I mean anyway.
I never had this problem before (or maybe I just didn't see it)

Claudiu (Softland)

Ok let's split this into steps:

- make sure you have the latest version installed (if not visit the download page and install it) and restart your computer if you had to install the new version

- after that open your CV in word (I assume that's what you use) and make sure in Page Setup the type of paper is Letter

- now click on print and select dopdf as the printer, but before the actual printing click on the properties button to open the main configuration window

- select the Predefined option and right under A4 in there it should be Letter which you have to select and press ok
See how the resulting format is.

Midseven

Post by Midseven »

I did exactly as you proposed step by step but it doesn't solved the issue... I even unchecked (you will see in the picture of Word) a setting that I thought was faulty.
Thank you for the support.
doPDF :

http://i38.tinypic.com/2yzflex.jpg
Word :

http://i35.tinypic.com/f3dso7.jpg

Claudiu (Softland)

I don't know what happens, from the screenshot you sent it seems that in the preview the width for letter is 8 instead of 8.5. It's a strange error and I can't reproduce it here nor i've seen another similar report. Sorry but i can't help.

Midseven

Post by Midseven »

Yeah, the width is always resized to 8" due to the paper available (stuck with A4).
As I already said, I managed to reproduce it on 2 computers with XP SP3 up-to-date. If I ever solve this problem, I'll let you know for sure.
Thank you for your time.
If anyone reading this have an idea please share your thoughts.
Bye.

JTimeToday

Post by JTimeToday »

Yeah, I had the same problem. Sometimes being an American can be frustrating... But I had to get used to the European standards while I was there for a few months last year. I found Markus Kahn's essay on paper sizes to be enlightening. There I found that you can print A4 documents on Letter if you just print at 94%. To print Letter on A4, print at 97%. Your margins won't be exactly "standard", but that won't be too significant for most peoples' purposes. There is also another good essay with diagrams.
I hope it helps! Good luck!

Claudiu (Softland)

Thanks for the tips. On a different note, if you're representing belightsoft, you might be interested in creating (if you haven't already) and submitting PAD files for your programs to our software library via http://www.software112.com/ - you'll get quite a bit of exposure (you don't have to reply to this post if you have questions about this, just use the contact on software112).