"Printing" a PDF to Desktop

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
DERoss

"Printing" a PDF to Desktop

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7
doPDF 10

After updating to doPDF 10.1.111, I tested it by "printing" a Web page. I wanted the result to be saved on my Windows desktop, so I navigated to desktop in the doPDF Open window (which should have been a Save window). However, every time I selected the Open button, the window reverted to Libraries.

This is not a new problem. I noticed it with doPDF 10.0.108 and earlier versions. Also, it is a persistent problem. After forcing the Open window to remain on desktop by changing the file name and successfully "printing" to the desktop, a subsequent use of doPDF again wanted to save the result to Libraries.

Thus, there are two problems that might related:

1. doPDF keeps trying to save PDF files to Library instead of the user's choice of desktop.

2. doPDF appears to be using the Open dialogue in Windows when it should use the Save dialogue.

Claudiu (Softland)

Re: "Printing" a PDF to Desktop

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,
doPDF defaults to saving the PDF file to your Windows' Documents folder, and we tested this here too. As for the Save/Open window, are you referring to the window that shows up when clicking the Browse button to select the destination?

DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Yes, the Open dialogue is what I get when I want to select the destination.

Defaulting to the Windows' Documents folder is definitely what I do NOT want. I never use that folder. Worse, when I navigate (Browse button) to my desktop, doPDF then defaults to the Libraries folder. That is, I have to change the resulting PDF file name in the dialogue. Otherwise, doPDF will not print to my desktop despite my explicit navigation to it.

Claudiu (Softland)

Please try out v11 of doPDF.

DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
doPDF 11.3.248

I installed doPDF 11.3.248 on 17 December 2021. I still see this problem. I am a retired software test engineer who had 30+ years testing very complex software systems used by the US military for operating its earth-orbiting space satellites. Thus, I decided to test right now.

1. I visited my own home Web page at <http://www.rossde.com/>.

2. I selected printing that page to a PDF file, which gave me the "doPDF11 - Save PDF file" window.

3. I selected the Browse button, which gave me a navigation window showing my libraries.

4. I navigated to my Desktop and select the Open button. (No, it does not say Save!)

5. The navigation window reverted to my libraries.

Only after I changed the name of the proposed PDF file was I able to save it on my desktop.

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi DERoss,

Do you have the option "Always use this folder" checked on the save window? I've just tested it here and for me it does remember the last used save location if that option is checked.

DERoss

Post by DERoss »

No, I do not. Each time I use doPDF, I generally want to select a different folder. Often I want to save onto my desktop, but often I want to save elsewhere. I just now did a local search and see that I have saved to three different hard drives in many different folders.

Claudiu (Softland)

We've solved now the issue with using the Open window instead of the Save one in doPDF, it will be included in the next build.

Regarding the second issue, I believe you mention you'd like a "remember last used location" option. Right now that's not how it works, because most users like to either use a fixed folder (i.e. the "Always use this folder" option) or just browse for one every time.

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi,

One more thing, in this latest version (11.4) the Browse button will correctly now open a Save window so you'll see the save button instead of the open one. Thank you for reporting that.