How do I keep the file size down!!??

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
reddave33

Post by reddave33 »

I have a 60 page pdf document which i get sent to me that is 1mb, when i export the pdf so that there are 60 jpeg pages the whole document becomes 20mb is there any way i can export the pages and keep the seperate file types down to a minimum?
I then put some of the pages from this pdf into another pdf which needs to be kept down to 4mb (maximum) in order to be emailed on.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're doing. So you have a pdf document that has 60 pages. Then you take this pdf and print each page as a separate PDF using dopdf? You also mention "jpeg pages" but I don't know if you mean that each of the pages in the pdf contains an image too?

Follow us to stay updated:

reddave33

Post by reddave33 »

Sorry i didnt really make myself clear enough! when i recieve the pdf i have to export the pages in the pdf as jpegs so i can use certain pages in my own different pdf which i am creating using the dopdf. So basically i was just wondering if there was a file that i could use instead of jpegs like:
.PCT

.PNG

.RAW

.TGA

.TIFF
To export as. Or if you know of a way to export images from one pdf as a seperate images in quite small file sizes.
Thanks

Claudiu (Softland)

>>Or if you know of a way to export images from one pdf as a seperate images in quite small file sizes
If you are using adobe reader to open the pdf, there's a tool called the snapshot tool. Basically you go in adobe reader's Tools menu, then to Select and Zoom and there you'll see the snapshot tool. This will let you select a page of your pdf and have a screenshot copied in your clipboard. After that you can open a graphics program and paste that screenshot there, from where you can play around with if it has some export options to reduce its size.

reddave33

Post by reddave33 »

Thanks for the help we are getting somewhere now. We are managing to keep the file size down, however the picture quality is suffering. They become unclear and quite pixelated is there a way of avoiding this while still keeping the file size down??

Claudiu (Softland)

Sorry, don't really have a solution for that. You could try however reducing the quality a bit of the original images, before creating the pdf again. This way the size of the pdf will be lower and you can keep the normal dpi for dopdf.

greyowl

Post by greyowl »

Another alternative would be to use PDF TK Builder to do the job of splitting off pages and merging pages into another pdf. It is freeware. Download at:
http://angusj.com/pdftkb/