High-resolution PDF

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
drwin

Post by drwin »

I created a manuscript, containing a number of B&W images, in Word.

I used dopdf to generate a PDF at 360ppi. I did this by selecting 360ppi under "Properties." I also ticked the "high quality" box (not the "low file size" box) before printing.

However, when I opened the PDF in PhotoShop to check the resolution, Photoshop gave 300ppi as the resolution. It appears that the 360ppi choice was not implemented.

Questions: (1) How can I get dopdf to generate the 360ppi? (2) Is there any sort of "preflight" available with dopdf so that I can check the PDF for resolution, embedded fonts, etc.?

I need the high res PDF for a publisher.
Notes: running Win7, Word, all images linked to file (not inserted), all file images 300ppi (created in PhotoShop).

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,
We have tested the dpi settings but the problem seems to be that Photoshop reduces the dpi to 300 when opening the document after it is printed. Word does not have a specific option for reducing the dpi and doPDF supports all the dpi resolutions until 2400 as we have tested it with multiple pictures so most likely it is from Photoshop.
Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated:

drwin

Post by drwin »

Aloha, Key Master,

Thanks for the information.

Is there any non-Adobe program that I can use to verify the resolution of my PDF before sending it to the printer?

I did some further testing as well: I removed a couple of the original 300ppi images that were linked to file in the Word doc, and replaced them with new image files saved at 350ppi. I then generated a PDF using dopdf, with 360ppi selected. Next, I opened the PDF in Photoshop. Result: the images that were originally 350ppi remained at 350ppi, and the images that were originally 300ppi remained at 300ppi. So it appears that Photoshop somehow ignores the dopdf instructions and reads whatever was in the original Word document, including the resolution of the linked images.

End result: it appears that perhaps if I want to be sure of having higher resolution images, I may have to resample and re-link all the original image files.

NOTE: All images in the Word doc were linked to the original image files, not "inserted." While working with Word, if the user hits "Save" Word will save "inserted" images at 200ppi regardless of the original file resolution.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,
A PDF does not actually have a resolution since it can contain different objects (text, images, stamps, video, audio etc.) However if you want to check the resolution for the images within the document you can use the preflight tool within the Acrobat Professional editions. This tool allows the users to accurately check image content by setting a resolution threshold.
Unfortunately we are not aware of any non Adobe tool to check for this specific functionality.
Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated: