Frequently Asked Questions

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Is doPDF really free?

Yes it’s free for both personal and commercial use. Has no watermarks, ads, or other annoying limitations. When installing it you can read the EULA where it clearly states the free policy, or you can download it here: doPDF EULA.
Is there an user manual for doPDF?

Yes, you can download it here: doPDF User Manual (PDF file)
I cannot get it to work because there is no .exe file. How do I use doPDF?

See this detailed post: How to create PDF files with doPDF
How can I download doPDF?

You can download doPDF by clicking on the Get it button from the main page or visiting the Download page and selecting a mirror site. Another page will open where you can download doPDF by clicking on the Download Now button.
Can I install it silently?

Yes, the setup for doPDF supports a list of command line parameters that let you among others to silent install it. You can read this post for a list of all the accepted command line parameters: Silent install parameters for doPDF.
Which operating systems does doPDF run on?

doPDF currently runs on Windows 2000, Windows XP (32 and 64-bit), Windows 2003 Server (32 and 64-bit), Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 (32, 64-bit). Starting with version 5.2 doPDF works on the 64-bits version of Windows XP, Vista, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server or Windows 7. It doesn't work on Mac (Mac computers have a built-in feature to create PDF files) or Linux.
Can I set up doPDF as a shared network printer or use it via Terminal Servers?

No, doPDF doesn't allow printing in a network environment. This includes any attempt to control your computer remotely, including Terminal Services connections, Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connections.

If you're looking for PDF printer that allows the above mentioned printing methods, you can take a look at novaPDF Server.
Why are semitransparent watermarks printed incorrectly?

doPDF does not properly handle semitransparent text watermarks when printing MS Word documents. Until we find a solution and fix this, a workaround is to uncheck the Semitransparent checkbox from Format->Background->Printed Watermark menu and to choose instead a ligher custom color for the watermark.
How do I uninstall doPDF completely?

Please see this: Completely uninstalling doPDF
How do I log the doPDF installation?

Run command line (Start->Run, type cmd and press Ok). Through the command line interface go to the folder where the doPDF setup is saved (usually Desktop) type dopdf.exe /InstallLog and press Enter.
The installation wizard will start. Finish the installation and a log file called doPDFInstall.log will appear in the root of your C drive (full path is C: //doPDFInstall.log).

Does doPDF work with MS Publisher files?

Yes, doPDF can convert a Publisher file to a PDF. doPDF works with any application that supports printing, simply select it as the printer and when you'll hit Print from that application a PDF will be created.
How can I print images in a specific order using doPDF?

If you have a set of images and want to create a PDF file that will have them in a specific order you can do so through the Windows Photo Printing Wizard. Please see this post for details: Print images in order
How to keep the PDF file size down?

First of all, doPDF allows font embedding so if you have the option Embed Fonts checked then the size of the resulting PDF file will be considerably larger. You can reduce the size by unchecking that option before re-creating the PDF. Additionally, you can see the advices in this post on how to keep the filesize down when there are images in the original document: Keeping filesize down
Why does dopdf print multiple PDFs from a single Excel sheet?

Actually this is an issue with the way Excel sends the pages for printing. Please see this article: Printing an entire Excel workbook to a single PDF file
PDFs open with Adobe Acrobat instead of Adobe Reader. Why?

This might be because you've installed Adobe Acrobat after installing Reader, and the PDF file association modified. Please see this article for details: Why Files Open in Acrobat, Not Reader?
Who designed the dopdf.com website?

The design is a derivative work of the "Curiously Green" template created by NodeThirtyThree and released under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 license.

Follow us to stay updated:

David

Post by David »

Hello
i have been using pdfv6 for years and have loved it. i recently installed V7 and every time i try to convert 3M powerpoint files it converts them to 40-70M pdf files. i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still the same problem. Please help.
David

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,
You are getting the big file size most probably because of the images included in the presentations.
doPDF prints whatever it receives from the source application and does not do any further processing on the pages so images are printed using the highest possible quality.
To make the size smaller, enabling the "small file" option in the Save PDF File window and removing font embedding can make a big difference.
Also i will have to ask you to make a separate topic for any issues you have in the future and not reply to stickies.
Thank you for understanding.

Follow us to stay updated: