DoPDF is installing files with permissions issues that make it unable to log in as a new user

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
StephenS

DoPDF is installing files with permissions issues that make it unable to log in as a new user

Post by StephenS »

Hi there, I recently installed the latest version of DoPDF on a computer running Windows 7 Professional and when it installed it created files in the Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent\Managed sub-directories, "Document Themes\1033", "SmartArt Graphics\1033", and, "Word Document Building Blocks\1033". What do these files do? For example, one of the filenames in Document Themes is, "TM01790492[[fn=Sketchbook]].thmx" one of the files in Smart Art Graphics is, "TM01793893[[fn=Tabbed Arc]].glox" and one of the files in Word Document Building Blocks is called, "TM01793058[[fn=Median]].dotx".

Are these files necessary for DoPDF to work, and what function do the files it installs here perform? The issue I am having with them is that the permissions on all of them are set to allow SYSTEM and Administrators full access minus Special Permissions. (They have Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, Read, Write permissions) That is fine, but because they don't have any permissions for USERS and/or Everyone whenever a new user tries to log into the computer it says that the User Profile Service failed the logon and it will not allow anyone except the administrator to log on. This is caused because when I try to log on with a network account that has not logged into the computer prior to DoPDF installing these files, on the first logon Windows creates a directory in Users with the username and tries to copy everything from the Default user profile into it. Because the permissions on these files only have SYSTEM and Administrators on them, Windows doesn't have permission to copy the files to the user profile and after throwing some event log errors as such, gives the error message and keeps the user from being able to log on.

This is a huge issue for me at the moment, and any help would be appreciated. I can delete the files and it will let new users log on, but I don't know how that will affect DoPDF's functionality; if it will interfere with DoPDF working I would rather not just outright delete them, not to mention that each time anyone has to install DoPDF they will have to delete these files manually as well. Why are they being created and why do they have these bad permissions?

StephenS

Re: DoPDF is installing files with permissions issues that make it unable to log in as a new user

Post by StephenS »

Can anyone please offer some help / more information?

StephenS

Re: DoPDF is installing files with permissions issues that make it unable to log in as a new user

Post by StephenS »

Update: The files are still being installed each time I install the program, and they are still having the same permissions issue. It's been 14 days with no response from the developer or anyone who has also had this issue. :( Can I please get some help regarding this?

StephenS

Post by StephenS »

This issue still has not been addressed by Softland, has anyone else had this issue and seen these files? I have deleted the files and the program still works, but every time it installs it puts the files back. Can someone please respond with their own experience or could we please get a reply from Softland? Thank you very much

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,
Those are not files that doPDF creates, those are files created by Microsoft Word for some reason. Have you also run recent updates for Office, or installed anything new aside doPDF?

StephenS

Post by StephenS »

Hi Softland, thank you for replying!

I took a fresh image of windows and then installed programs one by one. I believe that it is the Microsoft Office Add In part of DoPDF that is creating them because in the event viewer it showed that the files were created during / right after installation, with nothing else being installed in between. I kept checking for the files because I knew where to look, and they were not there before DoPDF, but exactly after DoPDF they were there. No updates or other programs affected the file location between the time that I installed DoPDF and the time that they were created; I didn't know if it was DoPDF or not so I went through the entire set up of the PC step by step to deduce what was creating the files. There was no interaction with Word, Office, or updates in this case.

Could it be the Microsoft Office Add In that is installed with DoPDF that makes these files?

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi Stephen,
We don't add them so it's something between the interaction of Office and the add-in. Maybe when an add-in is added for the first time Word automatically creates those files. But in our setup we don't have those nor do we copy them during installation, it's something Office creates.