[7.1.332-7.1.336] File Size Too Large

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
Natori

Post by Natori »

1.[7.1.332-7.1.336] File Size Too Large
doc Size: 2.30M

contents: text+pict (chinese)

Fonts: SimSun & TimeNewRoman

dopdf settings: Printer Advanced tab -> Print directly to the printer (or "spool print...")
>.330

3.95M (Embed fonts is check or checked)
>.332

11.1M (Embed fonts is check or checked)
>.334

11.1M (Embed fonts is check or checked)
>.336

10.6M (Embed fonts is check or checked)
----------------------------------------------
2.Application Freeze (TextMaker 2008)

dopdf settings: Printer Advanced tab -> Print directly to the printer
Step

1.Menu -> File -> Print

2.Click the OK button ("Print" window)

3.Click the Cancel button ("doPDF - Save PDF file" window)

4.Application Freeze

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Can you send us the document you used for the first test to [email protected] along with this bug description? also do mention your version of Word (in the first case). Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated:

Natori

Post by Natori »

TextMaker 2008 rev.505, winxp or win7 too.

kana48

Post by kana48 »

I have tried to print just only an image (size 10x15cm - resolution 72dpi - jpg file size 38KB). The PDF file size printed (doPDF v7.1.336) has been very large (size 10x15cm - resolution 72dpi - PDF file size 248KB). I tried a PDF printing by using a novaPDF printer, but the result has been the same. I have done a test with a CutePDF writer printer; the PDF file size has been just 48KB (good result).

I hope you will find out a solution for this issue soon... I trust you.

Thank you and have a nice week

Claudiu (Softland)

I was wondering, can you do a test on your image with version 6 of doPDF? It's available here - http://www.dopdf.com/download/setup/dopdf-6.exe - and doesn't interfere with the installation of 7.

kana48

Post by kana48 »

I have done a test on image with version 6 of PDF. The result has been very satisfying. In fact the pdf file size(27kB) has really lower than original image one. I have done further test with a file.doc size 41MB. The printing PDF file size was just 18MB. It is my opinion that the version 6 of doPDF is better than version 7 at moment.

I trust you will fix this issue for the version 7 of doPDF.

Thank you and have a good day.

Giampaolo

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi Giampaolo, thank you for posting the results, we've switched to a different compression algorithm in version 7. The problem is this, the algorithm used in version 6 produces smaller PDF files, but the quality of the image in the PDF is not as good as the one produced by version 7. So basically for accurate/good quality images version 7 is better even if the pdf is larger. In the next major version we'll introduce an option to switch between these 2 different algorithms.

kana48

Post by kana48 »

Hi.

I have tested the accurate/good quality printing with doPDF on a word document (file size 41MB) in which there are many images. The result(file size 17MB)has been very accurate and good quality of images by my side. I printed some pages (text with images) by a inkjet printer. Very good quality images for me. I suppose that the compression algorithm in version 6 is good. At moment I will use the doPDF version 6.

Thank a lot for your efforts to improve this usefull program.

Have a nice day

Giampaolo

jacktherare

Post by jacktherare »

Please ignore: my other pdf files were also as large as their Word counterparts. Idiot me! Sorry.
I like to convert Word to PDF when emailing large pieces of a book, usually draft of a piece of fiction. Large files take long to load and using Word allows my work to be easily changed.
So, I downloaded your version 7 and from a 700mb Word file got an 800 odd mb pdf file???? I downloaded your version 6 and got a slightly larger pdf file.
No fonts were embedded, no artwork. I even downsized image quality from 300 to 150 but that did not help.
Help!
Jacktherare