Spread the word

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

If you like doPDF, you can help us promote it. The best way to do that is to tell people why do you like doPDF and how it helps you. If you want to do more than this, we've set up a page with other things you could do: Promote doPDF.
Additionally, you could help us translate the doPDF website so that non-English speaking users looking for a PDF converter would find doPDF and start using it. More details about that here: Translating doPDF.

Follow us to stay updated:

rado354

Post by rado354 »

I have a high traffic software site and I can't publish the newest version of doPDF because it lacks the silent switch support. That's really sad.

Claudiu (Softland)

About 90% of users (maybe even 95%) don't need silent installation, as this is a feature needed for large deployments (in large companies), so I don't know how this would keep you from publishing doPDF - unless you have a site that's visited mainly by large companies.
Anyway, silent installation will not be added to doPDF, see this for details: http://www.dopdf.com/forum/topic/silent-installation

rado354

Post by rado354 »

Hi Softland,
My site is dedicated to all users who create unattended installation CDs. I'm sorry about the abuses and the problems you had. I can't see how disabling the silent switch helps? Anyone could use a program like AutoIt or AutoHotkey and install it silently anyway? Can I create an AutoIt script for my visitors that installs silently the program?

Claudiu (Softland)

I can't see how disabling the silent switch helps

Not everyone knows about AutoIt. You can create a script but with it you must also distribute the doPDF license agreement too (either as a separate document, or integrated somehow in the AutoIt script.
P.S. If you create such a script and post it on your site, can you send the link to info[at]dopdf[dot]com so I could check it? Thanks.

rado354

Post by rado354 »

Not everyone knows about AutoIt.

Silent switch abusers surely know about AutoIt, AutoHotkey and tools like that Now it's only the common Joe who suffers.
Anyway, check your email :)

dashcraf

Post by dashcraf »

A silent install of doPDF is possible. I have just finished building a silent installer for automated deployment and can confirm that it works very, very well.
doPDF utilizes Inno setup for the installer. Inno is a free installation utility which can be downloaded here: jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php An Inno unpacker utility can be downloaded here: sourceforge.net/projects/innounp/files
That will unpack the files and a portion of the original install script. From there you will need to determine the command line of the program run within the installer called dopdfin6.exe. The following page will show how to capture that command line from a running full doPDF installer.
With that information and the Inno setup compiler, you can then simply build a new installer with no dialogs shown and call it with the Inno standard /VERYSILENT switch and you're all set.
Please do not use this to violate the doPDF EULA or to otherwise injure Softland.

brouillettep

Post by brouillettep »

Hi dashcraf!
I'm almost there... What's missing is:

"The following page will show how to capture that command line from a running full doPDF installer."
Can you help me?
thx!

Claudiu (Softland)

doPDF 7.1 now officially supports silent installation parameters, see this page for details - http://www.dopdf.com/forum/topic/major- ... 5-released