9.2.234 is not making pdf files

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
KarendoPDF

9.2.234 is not making pdf files

Post by KarendoPDF »

On my Windows 10 laptop I recently (04/06/2018) updated to 9.2 build 234. However, I cannot make pdf files of documents with this update. I’ve tried it by selecting the doPDF printer at the Word 2016 print command. I’ve also tried inside the Windows 10 Photo app and inside IrfanView. No pdf file results. With earlier versions of doPDF 9, I WAS able to make pdf files. And, I have doPDF version 7 on my Windows 7 laptop and it will make pdf files inside any application by selecting the doPDF printer. So, something is not working right with this update (9.2 build 234) on my Windows 10 laptop. Here is the message I get from Word 2016 after selecting the doPDF 9 printer at the print command and it fails to print a pdf file:
1. Click File tab, click Print, add a printer. doPDF 9 is already in the list of printers.
2. If the printer is already installed, select it as the default. I have done that, but still no pdf file can be produced.
3. If the default printer is installed, but the application cannot use it, uninstall the print driver and re-install. I did that. I uninstalled the doPDF 9 printer driver and doPDF 9 (where I was informed that it was already uninstalled). I re-installed 9.2 build 234 and see that doPDF9 print driver (93.3 Mb) and doPDF 9 (232 MB) are in the list of Apps & Features. Still no pdf file can be made. I also tried installing an older version of doPDF.exe which I had downloaded and saved on 02/16/2018 before executing it (9.1.231). It worked OK then, but now it will not install because there is a newer version available (but as you read here, it is not working).
4. If a printer is on a print server, make sure the printer is available. doPDF 9 is not on a print server and it is not shared. It is located on the Windows 10 laptop and is used solely by this machine.

When I check the doPDF 9 properties>Ports, it says it is using novaPDF9 port and the printer is doPDF 9. However, if I click on the “Configure” box, it says the system cannot find the file specified for configuration.

I need some help in getting 9.2.234 working so that will make pdf files!!

Claudiu (Softland)

Re: 9.2.234 is not making pdf files

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,

Do you also have novaPDF installed, or you've only installed doPDF so far? The solution here would be a clean uninstall of doPDF/novaPDF and reinstalling the latest version. Go to your Apps/Features page and uninstall any doPDF/novaPDF entries. After that, manually delete the doPDF/novaPDF folders from your %APPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA% (should be within a Softland directory) and also from Program Files. Restart the computer and install the latest version.

If this still occurs send us an email as we'll need to see the installation log files

KarendoPDF

Post by KarendoPDF »

As I said in my first message, I have already uninstalled doPDF 9 and the doDPF 9 print driver via Windows 10 Apps & features and then I re-installed doPDF 9, but it still would not work. I have never installed novaPDF—at least not that I recall. I have just responded to the notification to update doPDF and I have let the updating take over from there.

These are the folders I have found:
1. I find novaPDF folders under c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Softland: 3 folders--novaPDF, novaPDF 8, and novaPDF 9. These folders all date back to 2017. Do I manually delete these 3 folders under c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Softland? Or do I just delete the novaPDF 9 folder?

2. I also find a folder under c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Softland . The folder is named …\Startup.exe_StrongName_(a long code follows). Under this folder are subfolders, for 9.0.218.0, 9.0.219.0, 9.0.221.0, 9.0.223.0, 9.0.226.0. 9.1.231.0. 9.1.232.0, 9.2.234.0. Each of these version folders has a user.config file in it. The last version folder (9.2.234) has a date of April 6, 2018 when I first tried to update. This date is before I uninstalled and re-installed on April 8, 2018 and April 10, 2018. Do I manually delete this 9.2.234 folder under c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Softland\Startup.exe_StrongName_(a long code follows)i]?? Or do I delete all of the version subfolders?? Or do I go up one level and delete the folder ...\Startup.exe_StrongName_(a long code follows)??

3. I also find a Softland folder under c:\ProgramData. There are 2 subbolders: one for novaPDF 8 and one for novaPDF 9.
Do I manually delete both c:\ProgramData\Softland\novaPDF 8 and …novaPDF 9?? Or do I just delete c:\ProgramData\Softland\novaPDF 9?

4. I also find c:\ProgramFiles\Softland\novaPDF 8. There is no …novaPDF 9. (This is a Windows 10 64-bit machine, so nothing for Softland is in c:\ProgramFiles (s86). Do I manually delete c:\ProgramFiles\Softland\novaPDF 8 ?

5. Or maybe I should just delete the Softland directories everywhere –
(A) c:\ProgramData\Softland,
(B) c:\ProgramFiles\Softland,
(C) c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Softland, and
(D) c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Softland???
This would be as if I had never installed anything from Softland ever.

Obviously, I am just a novice and I need specific guidance on what to manually delete.

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi Karen, if you uninstalled any entries for doPDF/novaPDF from your Apps & Features then the safest way would be to delete the Softland folder completely. But before doing that make sure you've uninstalled any doPDF/novaPDF entries. Then restart the computer, and install the latest v9 of doPDF. Thanks.

KarendoPDF

Post by KarendoPDF »

But before doing that make sure you've uninstalled any doPDF/novaPDF entries
I assume you mean "make sure that you have uninstalled any doPDF/novaPDF entries in Apps & features. I have already removed in "Apps & features" any entry for doPDF. I had no entries for novaPDF.
the safest way would be to delete the Softland folder completely
As I indicated in my earlier note, I have lots of Softland folders as listed in 5 (A), (B), (C), and (D). So, I assume you mean "folders (plural)", as listed in 5 (A), (B), (C), and (D), and not "folder (singular)". I will manually delete all of those Softland directories/folders, restart, and download the newest version of doPDF 9

I sure hope that by doing this, I can get doPDF 9 working again.

KarendoPDF

Post by KarendoPDF »

I followed all of your instructions, removing all doPDF apps from "Apps and features" and then deleting all Softland folders. I restarted. I then downloaded doPDF 9 again (now v 9.2.235). Same problem as before. There's a doPDF 9 printer installed, but it will not make a pdf file. I've tried printing an internet page via my Firefox browser (File>Print>select doPDF 9 printer). Firefox crashes. I've tried printing a Word 2016 file (File>Print>select doPDF printer). I get a Word 2016 dialogue box that says it cannot locate the printer.

Where is the installation log file so that I can send it to you?
Last edited by KarendoPDF on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JudyEG46

Post by JudyEG46 »

After trying all the suggestions in the other postings, I still cannot get my doPDF 9 to work. I've been using it for years now (including all updates) and it has suddenly stopped working. I even had a computer tech in my computer for hours trying to get it to work, to no avail. How can we reach tech support or someone to correct this problem? I use it all the time for so many things and now cannot use it at all. :x

KarendoPDF

Post by KarendoPDF »

Hi JudyEG46,
I have corresponded with Softland via [email protected] In each e-mail note that I send them, I tell them that I have posted something on the forum. Then, they look on the forum soon after and post a reply.

When I posted my last note on the forum on April 23 and I sent them an e-mail telling them that I had posted something, they sent me an e-mail on April 25, giving me a link to their helping tool in uninstall the current doPDF (v.9.2.235). The link has this specific version named in the URL Then, they said I should re-start the PC and re-install doPDF. I haven't done that yet, mostly because all previous re-installs after uninstalling, getting rid of all Softland folders, and then re-starting has not worked. I don't think using this "helping tool" is going to help, either.

As you see in one answer on the forum, one Softland responder said that they would need to see the installation log file, but I haven't been able to find it, and they have not replied (neither on the forum nor in an e-mail) to say where it is stored.

Getting doPDF to work seems hopeless to me, but you can try the e-mail route and see what happens.
Last edited by KarendoPDF on Fri May 11, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarendoPDF

Post by KarendoPDF »

Hi JudyEG46,
Please post information here on the forum:
a) if you get an e-mail from info@dopdf with a link to a helping tool;
b) if you try it; and
c) if it works (or not).

Claudiu (Softland)

Karen, please follow the instructions we sent in that email and if it doesn't work reply to us (to the same email address for faster processing) and we'll try to find a solution.